- Marta Kauffman, a cocreator of “Friends,” would do a few things differently if she could rewrite the show.
- Speaking alongside her cocreator, David Crane, and executive producer Kevin Bright at the Tribeca TV Festival on Friday, Kauffman highlighted two storylines she regrets, according to The Hollywood Reporter.
- She said it took “a lot of rewriting” to make “The One with the Jam” — in which Phoebe (Lisa Kudrow) starts dating her twin sister Ursula’s stalker (David Arquette) — work.
- She also highlighted “The One with the Chicken Pox,” in which Phoebe and a love interest (Charlie Sheen) spend a romantic weekend dealing with a chicken-pox outbreak.
- Visit Insider’s homepage for more stories.
The cocreator of “Friends” said there were two storylines she regrets, and they both involve Lisa Kudrow’s character, Phoebe.
Marta Kauffman appeared alongside the iconic NBC sitcom’s cocreator David Crane and executive producer Kevin Bright on a panel at the Tribeca TV Festival on Friday night.
After two fan-favorite episodes were shown on the big screen — just one of the ways the show is celebrating its 25th anniversary this year — the trio shared behind-the-scenes details about the beloved show, as well as their thoughts on what they could have done differently.
According to The Hollywood Reporter, the audience asked the creators whether there were any storylines they regretted. Kauffman had two in mind.
One was the season three episode “The One with the Jam,” in which Phoebe starts dating her twin sister Ursula’s stalker (David Arquette).
“We did a lot of rewriting on that to make it work,” Kauffman said.
The other was the season two episode “The One with the Chicken Pox,” in which Phoebe and a love interest (Charlie Sheen) both get the chicken pox during what was supposed to be a romantic weekend together.
Crane, on the other hand, said he didn’t remember many specific scenes and jokes, having worked on the show for 10 seasons starting 25 years ago. But he said that while watching an episode, he would sometimes ask himself, “Wow, really? We went with that?”
“There are some that are better than others,” he said, according to The Hollywood Reporter.
Kauffman added: “It’s much harder for me to enjoy the good moments when there are moments in it where I’m going, ‘Oh my God, we let that happen? We did that.'”
Crane added: “We couldn’t stay 10 more minutes and just find a better joke?
“But that’s just us beating ourselves up.”
- Read more:
- ‘Friends’ star Lisa Kudrow struggled with playing Phoebe, and credits costar Matt LeBlanc with helping her through it
- Lisa Kudrow says she felt like a ‘mountain’ next to ‘Friends’ costars Jennifer Aniston and Courteney Cox
- Courteney Cox posted a throwback photo of the ‘Friends’ cast on board a private jet to Vegas before the show had even aired, and celebrity fans are loving it